I have added some products to the store for the Community Helpers Unit.
1- Bring in pictures as in the file or real objects related to each profession:
Stethoscope for doctor,Plane for pilot,Hose for fire fighter,Cook´s hat for chef, Chalk and eraser for teacher, a phone and computer for secretary, a briefcase for bank manager, a letter for a mailman, a tooth and tooth brush for dentist.Have students pretend they are doctors using the stethoscope. Do the same with all the other community members.
Teacher: Let´s pretend we are doctors.
2- Cutouts: Explain to the class that people dress as the different professions. Use the cutouts for this activity.
Teacher: Look. Who is he ?
Student: He´s a firefighter.
Ask children to describe the clothes each person is wearing. Make sure they describe the color of the items of clothing.
Teacher: What´s the firefighter wearing ?
Children: He´s wearing black and yellow coat, green pants and blue boots.
I placed the cutouts on toilet paper tubes. They are easy to handle and can be used as puppets.
Game: Play Riddles. Choose one of the community helpers and make sentences about him/her. The children guess who it is.
Teacher: He´s wearing a white hat.
Children: It´s the cook.
Activity : Invite several students to the front and give each one a toilet paper tube puppet. Name different workers and have the student holding the corresponding puppet step forward , show it to the class and name it.Have the class describe what the workers are wearing.
Collect all the papers and staple them together to make a book per group. Invite a group member or all members to point to different pages from their book and show it to the class. I created a colored a black and white version for each community member.
4. Community Helper Printable Books: I made more books that can be read in class. I tried to use the vocabulary and structures that are appropriate for the level. There´s a colored version and a black and white version that you can color.There´s the fire fighter, the doctor, the teacher,the pólice officer.
I can create another community helper book if you need one, just let me know.
5. Badge: here´s a badge that I created after you have assessed the unit. The line is for the student´s name. I placed mine onto fun foam and a pin on the back.
6. Free Link: I found a lovely file at the Teachers pay Teachers store. The pictures are so cute that I made a wreath with a paper plate. It be used as classroom décor and as a way to review the vocabulary words.
Here´s the free link:
I also created a game. I glued a craft stick behind each card . The students will match the community helper to their transportation card.
7. Pocket Chart: I bought this pocket chart long time ago and hardly ever make any activities to go with it. I included ambulance, police car, fire truck, and bus. Use it to review colors and transportation vocabulary.
8. Free Printable Book: I see emergent reader book .
I made a big book for the teacher and a smaller version for the students.
I invite all teachers to join my Facebook Group: ESL/EFL Preschool Teachers, post pictures and links there. You are also welcome to be my guest blogger here, just pick a theme or something that you want to write about.